Friday, March 16, 2012

Content ID, Part 2

Another problem with the Content ID system is that it misidentifies content. It is not unusual to see videos that have been matched with a certain song when, in fact, it is actually another song entirely. Many videos I’ve seen with the song “9 Crimes” by Damian Rice are eventually removed from YouTube. However, I have recently seen a few videos using that song; after looking closely, I noticed that the song on those particular videos was mistakenly identified as “Loser” by The Jades. In this example, the mistake actually allowed the video to remain available, but think of all the times where it could do the exact opposite. In some examples, these cases of “mistaken identity” are absolutely absurd.

Here is one such recent example:



This is a video of a man outside, preparing a wild salad. There is clearly no music or copyrighted material of any kind in the video. Yet, this video was matched with someone’s copyrighted content: that’s concerning. In this video the background nature noises were identified as music belonging to Rumblefish.Eventually, after disputing the copyright claim, and being refused, enough attention was called to the issue that Rumblefish took notice, and the issue was resolved. Situations like this are quite concerning to YouTube users and what it could mean in regards to free speech and creativity.

7 comments:

  1. Content ID systems have one major flaw: they can't distinguish between parody/critique/legitimate use of copyright material and infringing content. I've seen tons of episodes of various TV shows on YouTube, while video reviews of shows, movies, or games made by users get taken down. That's why I think Content ID systems shouldn't be the sole tool to combat infringing material; you need a human in there to figure out if it is a case of Fair Use or actual infringement.

    -Xavier Santana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I think that's the biggest flaw of the Content ID system. There are entire movies uploaded, but I'll the audio on a 2 minute fanvid blocked - doesn't seem reasonable. You hear about unreasonable cases too - there are many singers on YT that sing some of their covers acapella as use of the actual music in the background would be identified.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I was unaware of Content ID systems. I can't believe it is that inaccurate...it could really do some damage to free speech and creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the first case I've heard of that's this bad, but it does seem to have some definite flaws.

      Delete
  3. yeah they need to stop being so strict!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny thing is they do update these resources constantly, just like the song id feature you might have on your smartphone. But they dont always retro-fit them, so older pieces like this dont get the attention they deserve during a dispute. Strides are being made in the right direction, it is just a matter on taking some time. In fact there are now sites that offer free rights to popular music, for use in projects and such like this. I forgot the link I was going to use, but I know I have friends are are filmakers and they have used the sight to gain access to music that would otherwise be unusable do to copyright laws. It is interesting that some artist are out there trying to let their music be used in other ways by other people to move and entertain. It is nice to see.

    ReplyDelete